Centre of Science for Villages is a premier technology generating and technology transferring institute working in various field including biotechnology. Since last 30 years CSV is involved in popularizing use of Spirulina amongst people of Vidarbha as well as other parts of India.
CSV has evolved and optimized technologies which are essential for production of Spirulina. It includes production of Spirulina for house hold purpose, Production on small scale and production on large scale. We have derived methods to process Spirulina for preservation, product diversification and value addition. In addition to it CSV has evolved a package of practices so that production of Spirulina is possible in which the input cost is minimized and the output is quite substantial as compared to the other methods.
Spirulina a blue green alga or a single cell protein is considered as natures Super Food. It has remarkable nutritional power. Spirulina is often called nature’s perfect food because of its abundant nutritional profile. Spirulina tablet or powder contains following items.
Spirulina The Wonder Food:
- Spirulina has highest quality protein available.. It is higher in protein value than beef, chicken, turkey, eggs, soybean, rice, tofu or wheat.
- It has about 69% protein of which 95% is digestible compared to 20% from meat protein.
- Contains all the amino acids that the body cannot produce.
- Contains no fats or starches.
- Grown in the controlled environment, it is free from pollutants and toxins.
A vitamin and Mineral Gold-Mine:
- 25 times higher in beta-carotene than carrots.
- 28 times higher in iron than beef liver, and 56 times higher than spinach or steak.
- The highest whole food source of B-12, which is important for vegetarians
- Rich in Glycogen which is rarely found in plants. Glycogen is stored in the liver for quick energy
- Richer in chlorophyll than alfalfa and wheat grass
Good for Environment:
- Produced through ecologically sound aqua culture.
- 100% natural and non toxic
- Creates clean air as it grows by removing carbon dioxide and replenishing oxygen to the atmosphere
Spirulina has protein, amino acids, beta-carotene, chlorophyll, B vitamins, calcium, iron, and GLA etc. In fact Spirulina is such a well rounded natural whole food that NASA has chosen it as a primary food for space travel. And the United Nations has concluded that Spirulina could be the solution to global protein shortage.
Spirulina, a microscopic blue green algae, has capacity to produces 10 times more protein per acre than that of Soya bean and 200 times more than that of beef. It is the best natural source of protein anywhere.
Spirulina has all nine of the essential amino acids as well as nine more nonessential ones. One tablespoon (about 2 grams) of Spirulina powder provides US RDA of vitamin B12… 50 % of vitamin B2… and 2300% of vitamin A, in the safe form of beta carotene, an essential antioxidant that helps protect the body’s healthy cells.
Objectives of CSV in this respect
The objective of CSV is to provide the training to rural entrepreneurs.
- Introduce basic concept of growing Spirulina
- Provide details of admissible and non admissible inputs in Spirulina Production.
- Production and quality control of Spirulina.
- Providing standard methodology.